Friday, November 19, 2010

Featured Feathered Friend - Least Bittern

As you may have seen from one of my previous post, I am starting a new weekly item: Featured Feathered Friend. This week's featured picture is one of a female Least Bittern. This was taken in May of 2009 at Wakodahatchee Wetlands in Delray Beach, FL. 




Nick and I were strolling along the boardwalk, just rounding out our long morning of birding. And then we noticed something out of the ordinary peaking out of the reeds. It was a Least Bittern! These little fellows are notorious for being very secretive and hard to spot. Well, here this one was, just out in the open for all to see! And she was hanging out here for a good 5 minutes, which seemed like an eternity. But of course, Nick and I were the only ones paying attention and the only ones who cared. The rest of the boardwalk patrons were too busy oooo-ing and aaahhh-ing over a nearby alligator. Alligators are cool and fun to see, but after living in Florida for a while, it's really no big surprise to see one in the wetlands. And it's REALLY not a big deal when you have a Least Bittern showing herself and posing for pictures! So here she is, a Least Bittern in all her glory, enjoying some Florida sun. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Maureen! Someone tweeted this and I recognized your name when I saw it. I work at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology and we've used several of your Birdshare photos in the past. It's great to see your blog and I'll look forward to seeing what you hipsters post next! - Hugh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Hugh! I'm glad you enjoy the blog. It's great to have this outlet to not just share my pics, but the fun stories, too. =)

    ReplyDelete