Tuesday, April 2, 2013

When Two Birders Get Engaged








So what happens when two Hipster Birders get engaged? Well, something magical happens. Ok, it's not that dramatic, but it is a very special thing. As you may already know, Nick and I didn't start out as birders early in life. We actually became birders together after we had been dating for about 4 years. We discovered our love of the outdoors and exploring as much as possible. And most significant of all, we fell in love with being together and sharing our experiences and adventures.




So when we got engaged back in October last year, as we mentioned in a previous post, I knew that our engagement photos had to involve birding somehow. We didn't want to just pose by a fountain or just stare into each others eyes (which I guess we did a little bit), but we really wanted to capture our outdoorsy spirit and birdiness. So what better way to do that than to photograph us in action in a place we love?!?!

                 



We picked out the very talented Jade + Matthew to photograph our engagement shoot, and they were immediately excited to take pictures of us funky, young birders. We decided that the best setting would be one of our favorite and very picturesque birding spots - Skidaway Island State Park. The scenery is lush and green and there are spots where the curtains of spanish moss above you are just truly majestic.








When we woke up in the early morning of our engagement shoot mid-December, my mouth fell to the floor and I almost had a panic attack when I saw one of the densest fogs I had ever seen. I just couldn't believe that as far as I could see over the marsh behind our apartment, it was just a blanket of gray. "What do we do?!?!" I called out to Nick. We were just hoping that the fog would lift some by the time we got to the park. Well, it didn't really, but it turned out to be a truly awesome photo prop that was completely unplanned for and worked out beautifully.

This one we call our "catalog shot." I hope Nikon, Kenn Kaufman, and David A. Sibley sponsor us for this pic ;-)




If we were really out birding, the fog would be cause for us to just call it a day and go home, most likely. But for photos, the fog created an erie sense of woodsy mystery. And the backdrop of those gorgeous oaks, pines, and palmettos just brought it all together. So, I know that we're revealing a little bit of intimacy here, but I think these gorgeous photos were just too fun not to share. So please enjoy!





All photo credit goes to © Jade + Matthew Take Pictures

13 comments:

  1. So lovely!!! What a dream setting. Magic in the air indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Myrte! It was a very dreamy setting =)

      Delete
  2. Such beautiful photographs. The fog adds such a romantic feeling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think the fog does add quite the romance to the pics, too!

      Delete
  3. Fabulous photos! Congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MAUREEN! I just squealed because I absolutely love this post!!! I feel so grateful to get to be apart of you and Nick's day! I love how you guys want to incorporate so much of yourselves into everything from your engagement to your wedding! I think it is so much more meaningful and I just love love love it!!! Thank you so much for sharing this with me :) :) makes my heart happy! And I think what I love most is that your love for birds is truly your guys thing together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nicole! We're so glad that you're working with us, too. I think you're going to help us really express ourselves as the bird nerds that we are =)

      Delete
  5. You guys ROCK!! so glad we got to go out on that foggy morning with you!! XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are beautiful! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both of you are looking amazing in these beautiful pictures. It’s wonderful that both of you discovered a common hobby together. Also loved the location that you chose for the photoshoot. My sister also got engaged last week and we have started the preparations for her wedding at one of the best wedding venues NYC.

    ReplyDelete